Wednesday, June 20, 2007

CANADA!!!! The first 40 odd hours ...

Made it!

Well after an 8 hour flight of blokey movies, I watched Ghost Rider and Wild Hogs, and a little curffle in Immigration (just took forever, but the immigration guy was cute and entertaining) I arrived in my hostel at 6pm Monday June 18.

Then I took myself for a walk, a walk of walks it turned out, I was in search of a Maccas for my international Cheeseburger Challenge. So I walked from my hotel too the water, to the main drag of Toronto, up, then back along my hotels street ... was there a Maccas? NO ... I passed 4 subways in the end but no Maccas. Turns out (as I asked) there are zoning laws in regards to unhealthy food and they can' t have too many of them in the one area. And turns out there was one 2 blocks up the side streeet of my hotel ... Damn it! But a cheeseburger I got, and a photo there shall be, when I get access. Back to the room, read and sleep, damn I was tired.

Tuesday, we had our orientation with NYQUEST, finally met the guys I have been emailling the past couple of weeks, they were really nice and talked us through heaps of things and then set off with us, we walked about a 1/3 of what I walked the day before. We went to the bank and set up accounts and got our SIN (equlivant of Tax number) so that we could work. Then back to the hotel and then farewell to Jonathon and Brad.

Then we 3 aussie chicks, who are all going on different camps, all representing 3 of the Eastern States (sorry no tasmanian). Set off in search of Burrito Brothers (recommended from our camp guys) it was pretty good and had heaps of locals in it. Then off for a walk and browse around the shops. We also introduced ourselves to the underground system of Toronto - which is used when its winter and too cold. Well its used in the warm weather as well, there are entire malls and food outlets etc underneath the city. So thats where everyone has been, and I just though no one was here when I got here.

Anyways, whilst down there, we were distracted by a guy making something at a chocolate factory. Turned out to be fudge he was heating and blending ... we watched the entire process which was great, then .... after our dedicated viewing it paid off ... we all got free fudge, which the word divine cannot simply describe. Continued walking underground, we back to Hotel for a arvo break and then off to the Baseball.

Torontos stadium is a 5 min walk from where we are staying, so off went, but before we went to a baseball bar and had an awesome dinner, then off to the Stadium. With the presumption of $2 tickets. Tickets turned out to be $11, that stopped in May (cough cough Brad and Jonathon) but we had an awesome time, sadly the Toronto Bluejays lost to the LA Dodgers.

Today I am off to camp at 1pm, but for now I am going up the CN Tower ... it has a glass floor, hmmmm I'll get back to you with photos of how I went.

Keep reading for my adventures of CAMP WYOKA.

No comments: