Thursday, June 07, 2007

Copenhagen, More London and Farewell M & D

Well my world wide trip continues.

I am really starting to notice how much I am actually up to, or have been up to, I can now count the different countries that I have been to on this trip on two hands now, the toes I am sure will be out sooner than I know it.

Last time I update you all, I had been in France with Mum and Dad, maybe a bit more you know after France so I will pick up when we went to Copehagen.

I finally took myself across the River, which is all it basically is to see Nick, Rach and Ella - I have lived here 5 months and it took having vistors to get there, yes I know, I am slack. But we had a fabulous time.

We arrived on Thursday May 31, was picked up by Nick at the airport and drove the short distance to their home. I think it may be just a little further than what I had to drive in Townsville to pick people up, so not far at all. We meet up with Rach and Ella at home, talked for a while and then Nick went back to work. Rach and Ella walked us to a canal where we hopped on a boat tour of the Canals and River of Copenhagen. It was really lovely and we saw heaps, pity that the guy who was telling us what things were, forgot to translate into English for a lot of it, or if he did, it was for a tenth of the time that he spoke about it in Danish. We then went home for a lovely dinner.

Thursday, we took ourselves on a walking tour of the city, which was great, we went to museums, saw Tivoli and walked the main street "Stroget" of Copenhagen. Along the way we saw lots of souvenior shops, the funniest thing I saw was magents of Mary, Fredrick and Christian in their ski clothes. We then went into Royal Copenhagen store (crockery) now I wasn't convinced. But it turned out to be really nice and I actually bought something, only small, but I will still be able to use it when I come home to Aus. We then went into Georg Jensen, another store of notiery of Copes - the Queens choice of Jeweller. And another night with a lovely dinner and a bottle of red.

Saturday, Nick took us for a driving tour of Copes, and we went and saw the Royal Jewels of Copes and their Palace. Which is nothing like Buckingham Palace, where you can't even get within 100m's of the place, here you can practically walk right up to the door, there are guards, and I am sure they would challenge you if you tried. As it was raining by this stage, we decided to ditch the outdoor cookout we had planned and stayed in.

Lucky we did, as there were droves of people out who were going to a football game between Denmark and Sweden. They were everywhere, climbing the statues, drinking in the street and this was all before the game. Now we didn't watch the game but we did happen to flick over the TV in the last minute to see the score. And we were glad we did, a Dane punched a swede in the stomach, the Dane got red carded, a Fan then came out and acosted the Ref, the refs then decided to walk off with 57secs left on the clock. Now as the game was tied, this caused even more chaos. All the people were standing in the stadium and no one knew what was happening, oh to be able to speak the language at that time. But in the end, we worked out that to punish the danish fans, the refs declared the game 3-0 to the Swedes.

An exciting end to our trip in Copes. Sunday we returned to London, to find it sunny. Dad and I went off to Tower Bridge, to go up in it and have a look around. Mum went off to Tate Modern and St Pauls Cathedral. Mum had a great time, as did Dad and I. Dad and I happed to read a sign which said that the bridge was opening in an hour after we were there, so we called mum and got to her come and join us. It was quite cool.

Monday, no work for me, so I joined mum and dad in their last bit of sight seeing, Mum went to West Minster Abbey, we were all going to go, but the cheap tickets ran out the day before, and i was being cheap and didn't want to pay £10. Dad and I went off to Harrods where Mum met up with us an hour or so later. We looked around and found nothing that we wanted, as its all too expensive. Mum bought her Harrods Bag and was very happy.

Tuesday, no work for me again, and Mum and Dads last day. Took them souvenior shopping on Oxford street and off to Picadilly circus. A full day it was, we got back to my house about an hour before they had to catch the train. So we finalised their packing and walked to the train station. It turned out that we got to the train, it was leaving in 2 mins, so a quick goodbye and they were off. It was weird, as it just seemed like because they were hopping on a train, that they would be back soon, but no, they are gone and back in Australia.

Had a good time whilst they were here, despite being cramped at night in my small room as I am sure they will tell you. But it all worked out well and they loved their time here.

Well I am off to Canada to start my job as Assistant Camp Director at Camp Wyoka in Toronto, heres the website http://www.whiteoaksgirlguides.ca/camp/index.php

Tell you more soon.

No comments: