Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Slack Traveller ... Camp the last month and wind down

Well, haven't I been lazy, a month and a half since I blogged last ... and yes, I know this as I have had people telling me that I should update my blog. Here goes, everything is in one huge blur but I will try to remember most of it.

Camp first of all was amazing, to live with 35 girls (staff) and 100 girls (campers) for 10 weeks is a feat in itself, and believe me, there were times I thought I wouldn't come out alive. No no, it wasn't that at all.

So, if you didn't know from June 20 through to August 28 I was the Assistant Camp director at Camp Wyoka in Clifford Ontario - 2 and a bit ours North West of Toronto - middle of no where pretty much and where the Mennonites live.

I went into the job without much knowledge of what I was to be doing, as I had been told in my interview that theres no real description of the job but you will always be busy. And busy I was. During camp some of the duties that I performed, was first and foremost Chef, as our chef had to leave before camp started due to family reasons. So I was asked to help out where I could, and it entailed getting 4 staff to cook for 100+ people day in day out, luckily every second week, we had a volunteer come in and help us out, so some weeks I was others I wasn't a chef. Also, I performed the duties of Plumber - where I plunged so many toilets in my time there, that I lost count but I know that on every site, I plunged their toilets more than once - I also got to fix the kitchen since once too.

Chaufferr - whether be on the Mossy Mobile (golf cart) or in the awesome camp car (I loved that car) I would drive people to and fro or deliver people or pick things up. Computer Technician - may favourite line of camp to my director was walk away from the technology, poor Toad, if something technoligical was to break it would break on her, lucky I was willing to help. Animal Rescue/Murderer - now you may wonder why both of these are in the same catergory, well there were times that I would help the animals, like the countless racoons that I helped get out of the industrial bin (seriously you put a ladder in and they climb out - for rodents they is smart!) and then we have mruderer, where I was blame for leaving a bird to die.

Then there was the time I was a Mortician now this was a one time thing and I am sad to say I was a partaker in the death, but one sad afternoon Swing and I went for a drive on BT's super fast golf cart and were booking it (as the Canadians say) down the hill and a poor little chipmunk tried to run out of the way but the little sucker didn't have the legs to do it, so sadly he got hit and died (Swing claims he was on a suicide mission) so we found a shovel and I got the joyous occassion of burying him.

Assistant Maintenance - Felix wasn't a confident driver of the golf cart (well not at the start of camp, but she got better) and she needed someone to drive her around on the Golf Cart to pick up the Garbage (as if you call is Rubbish you get laughed at - damn Canadian English) - which I have to say isn't a great job, but ain't that bad. Until the day, when we went to waterfront and the day camp kids had been fishing, and they caught a fish and he died before it could be realised, so instead of putting in the water for some other animal to eat, they put it in the Bin (well in the area where the bin was not in it) - and yes, I was the lucky person who had to pick up a hard, stale dried fish (not a nice day).

Dryer Repairer - for days, people were complaining that the dryer was on the blink and I said I would have a look, there were skeptics out there, but I fixed it. Not hard when it had blown a fuse and just needed to be switched back, but still a job I picked up. Night Guard - now, this may seem bizzarre but there were definately a few staff members who didn't like walking to their sites in the dark, so I got to walk those people in the dark to the sites, so the White Girl (camp ghost) or Clarence (camp skunk, though it turned out we had several clarences in the one spot most nights) wouldn't get them. And it was all fine for me to walk them there, but then I had to walk back by myself - hmmmm planning Vic, nice work there.

Lunch Delivery - this was great waterfront (generally Swing) would need lunch and I would willingly take it down, but I would change into togs first and stay with her and have a lunch party, swim and wash the hair in the lake - best was to rinse your hair - jump off the life guard tower, puts lots of air in your hair.

More to add, but running out of time on the net here, so back soon to finish.

No comments: